1. Last week Addie and I were in Utah. Addie wreaked all kinds of havoc at my parents house. She got into every cupboard and made a huge mess. She figured out that she can get into most of the rooms upstairs if she pushes hard enough on the doors. One afternoon she got into my parents room that way while my Dad was napping and ran over and stole his ipod. This girl has a thing for gadgets.
2. After 5 or 6 months without seeing a movie I saw 3 in the last two weeks: Water for Elephants with Paige (LOVED, I think it’s better in the book!) and Jane Eyre TWICE. Heidi and I saw it one night and then we ended up going spur of the moment to see it with mom for Mother’s Day on Saturday. I am not a lover of the Jane Eyre story but this was an amazingly beautiful adaptation and I really enjoyed it both times. I think I’d like to own it. I could watch the middle part of the movie up until the wedding over and over. The ending scene was a bit of a let down though.
3. I got to see some friends while in Utah. I met up at Cafe Trio for lunch with Marci one day (without kids!) and loved chatting with her. Then I stopped by to see my dear former roommate Kalie who has a sweet new baby girl. It was so wonderful to catch up with her and see her as a mom. The friends you stay in touch with after several years apart are the best ones.
4. While we were in Utah, Jacob went to PA to take his PE Exam and then went to NYC for a couple of days. I reaaaaaaaaaaalllly wanted to go with him but it just wasn’t feasible so he got to go and enjoy it for the both of us. He stayed with our friends Jon and Trudie and went all over the city doing fun things. He took pictures of the new things in our old neighborhood and I was so homesick. Hello, we used to live across the street from Central Park! He brought back a bunch of treats for Mothers Day: spekuloos spread from the Waffle and Dinges truck, a cupcake from Billy’s Bakery, cookies from Levain Bakery (our fave!!) and some little chocolates from 3 Tarts. (And as I type this “New York State of Mind” just came up on itunes. Oh New York, how we love you!)
5. Remember the little white dress from Ten on Tuesday a few weeks ago? Jacob picked it up at Zara Kids in NYC for me. It’s darling and I can’t wait to get a photo of Addie in it. He also brought her a pink New York hoodie which will hopefully fit in the fall because she won’t be needing it around here for a long time!
6. We recently bought a domain name and hosting for Second Story Window. We’re working on getting instant downloads of our games up as soon as we can. So excited about this. And a tad overwhelmed.
7. I feel like I will never ever be caught up on photo editing again. I’m so behind! This is the problem when you take SO MANY photos. I still have photos from her actual birthday that haven’t been finished not to mention all the ones I took for her one year shoot a couple weeks ago. If only I could take a week off of regular life responsibilities and get caught up!
8. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I don’t like Mother’s Day. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Mom and I celebrate her every day. But Mother’s Day… When we were trying to get pregnant, Mother’s Day fell almost exactly 1 year after we’d started trying and I spent a good portion of that day in bed in tears. It was awful. Now I’ve got survivor’s guilt. All day on Mother’s Day I found myself thinking of those poor women who are still waiting and how this holiday just rubs it in their face that they’re not who they want to be. Not to mention the pain of all those women who have lost a child or those who have lost a mother. I just couldn’t get past that. I hope someday I will because I hate having such negative feelings on a holiday that’s supposed to be happy.
9. That being said, I had a really nice Mother’s Day! We flew home from Utah in the afternoon and had an entire row on the plane all to ourselves which was heaven. Jacob was really excited to see us and made me a yummy dinner. And I, of course, feel so blessed to have my little Adelaide in my life. She is my greatest blessing and I cherish her every day. I’m also lucky to have a truly amazing mother who inspires me daily to be a better woman, wife, and mother. I am blessed.
10. And on a completely irreverent but hilarious note, I’ve read Tina Fey’s prayer for her daughter a few times and it gets me every time. Read it here and laugh your head off. Note to self: Must read Bossypants.
In celebration of motherhood, here’s a photo of me and my girl the other day. While in Utah we went to the Ogden River Parkway to attempt some photos of Addie in her Easter dress. The flowers were gone and she was a difficult subject. I got her a cute new headband from Wendy and Peter and she would not have anything to do with it, of course. But Dad did snap this one of me and Addie at the end and I was pretty pleased when I found it on the memory card. Turned out pretty cute, besides the sunglasses on my head!